Revelation 11 tells us that in the last days God will send two witnesses to Jerusalem to prophecy for 3 and a half years. If anyone tries to harm them fire will come from their mouths.
They have power to stop the rain, turn water into blood and cause plagues on earth.
They will eventually be killed by the unbelieving crowd, who will not bury them but leave their bodies there to gloat over for 3 and a half days. Even giving gifts to one another in celebration of their death!
After those 3 and a half days are over God will call them up to heaven, that will rise to their feet and ascend in a cloud. At the same time there will be a great earthquake that will kill 7000 people.
There are various reasons why we believe the two witnesses to be Moses and Elijah:
1. Elijah called down fire from heaven and shut heaven from rain for 3.5 years.
2. Elijah never died but was taken to heaven in a chariot of fire.
3. Moses caused various plagues to come upon the Egyptians.
4. Neither of these two ever finished their ministries on earth.
5. Malachi 4 talks about Moses and Eljah in the same passage:
“Remember the law of my servant Moses, the decrees and laws I gave him at Horeb for all Israel. See, I will send the prophet Elijah to you before that great and dreadful day of the Lord comes. He will turn the hearts of the parents to their children, and the hearts of the children to their parents; or else I will come and strike the land with total destruction.”
6. And in Matthew 17 they appeared with Jesus.
“Just then there appeared before them Moses and Elijah, talking with Jesus.”
Watch The Two Witnesses – Chuck Missler
Image taken from blogandmayblog.com